Unequal access to vaccine - what are the barriers?
2021-09-15 22:13:12 UTC
There is much coverage of the fact that Maori and PI vaccination rates
for COVID19 are lower than others. What are the barriers to
vaccination by any group in getting vaccinated? For those of us who
can get to the pub, supermarket etc. we use the same means to get to a
vaccination centre. Increasingly said vaccination centres are your
local chemist or Dr, so again if you can get to either you can get
vaccinated. There is no cost barrier.

So why are some sectors of our population lagging behind on
vaccination?

2021-09-15 23:29:50 UTC
There is much coverage of the fact that Maori and PI vaccination rates
for COVID19 are lower than others. What are the barriers to
vaccination by any group in getting vaccinated? For those of us who
can get to the pub, supermarket etc. we use the same means to get to a
vaccination centre. Increasingly said vaccination centres are your
local chemist or Dr, so again if you can get to either you can get
vaccinated. There is no cost barrier.
So why are some sectors of our population lagging behind on
vaccination?
A good question, Crash. The obvous have been some church
congragations that believe that faith is enough; and I think there was
an article about "Bishop" Tamaki of Detiny Church not exactly
encouraging Destiny Chrch members to get vaccinated - most of the
Pacifica churches appear to now be encouraging and assisting to
organise local vaccination. Poverty can be a barrier - where two jobs
are needed normally, Covid has created additional problems and with a
large family, it can be difficult to get to a vaccinationcentre - but
again that is changing.
Gordon Campbell makes some comments from the HPV vaccination programme
for girls here:
https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL2109/S00034/on-the-covid-exit-plan-and-911-media-memories.htm
but the same issues may not be present now.

Certainly there are always some who believe disinformation campaigns,
but they are different for Covid. Forst, by and large this is not a
political issue - National and Labour both advocate the elimination
strategy - disagreement was on either issues that the government could
not change until recently (vaccine supply) or the detail of "opening
up the border." Delta has reduced those differences, as has the
realisation that the vaccine does not give immunity, and that "herd
immunity" may not be possible for Covid. Many New Zealaders appear to
have though that it would be like Measles - provided most children
get vaccinated the rest will be OK. We now know that vaccination does
not stop those vaccinated from getting the virus, although many will
not, but also that once vaccinated, a person may carry the virus but
not show any symptoms, but still able to infect others - with those
not vaccinated being much more likely to be infected and if infected
to have erious ymptoms.

We do not yet have an acceptable vaccine for young children - and we
have heard that Covid is climbing the chart of common causes of death
in children in the USA . . .

So the new situation is one where all political parties know that we
wil not have certainty for some time; that we are reliant on
scientific advances, and that loosening border controls may well
result in Covis getting out of control as it has in New South Wales
and the UK. That may be inevitable if we do not get better medical
defences; and our health services are still under considerable stress
at current Covid levels . . .

I would be interestedin the thoughts of others.

Those are hard technical messages to get though
Gordon
2021-09-16 04:01:11 UTC
There is much coverage of the fact that Maori and PI vaccination rates
for COVID19 are lower than others. What are the barriers to
vaccination by any group in getting vaccinated? For those of us who
can get to the pub, supermarket etc. we use the same means to get to a
vaccination centre. Increasingly said vaccination centres are your
local chemist or Dr, so again if you can get to either you can get
vaccinated. There is no cost barrier.
So why are some sectors of our population lagging behind on
vaccination?
WE all have ones reality and part of that is that while some are richer than
others all are well off. Each of us lives in a subculture which we seldom
leave when an experience hits you, often on the street of public space.

Clearly there is willingness and time, which are two different aspects.

Some ideas

1) Poverty

Not having the money to get to the vaccination centre. It was mentioned in
an article for drive ins that the vehicles were running out of fuel as they
could not afford to put enough in. Or there was not enough in.

No disposable income. Poor budgeting.

2) Time

In our low wage society and two people needing to work to keep the household
from going brankcrupt, it means that there is no time left in the day to
worry about vaccination.

3) She be right attitude

This is reinforced by 2 above. Covid has not arrived in the sense that one
know about 10 others who have covid. So tomorrow, next week or next month
will do fine.

4) Lack of education

Without an understanding of how vacciones work the scientific arugement
falls flat. People have to rely on what people say. People who they do not
know personally. Trust is netural.

5) Governments communication somewhat confusing at times.

I have had trouble getting a consistent message. Okay Covid kept moving the
goal posts. This would confuse others as they are short of time etc. See
above.

5) Culture

This is a sensitive issue. A subtle one also, but nevertheless a very
important driver.

There is the under current of the history of the Maori Pakeha relation ships
in this country. While alot has been done to address this there is still
some underlying resentment. So there is some mistrust.

There is also the belief systems. These exist in a diverse country. More so
than in an all while white male society of the past.

An so back to ones reality. There is a need to understand at a gut level of
the differences of the other (minority) groups. Men and women come close to
this. As time goes by I think the Pakeha side will gain a far better
understanding of the minority groups.

The other side of the coin is to ask why the Asian poulation is showing the
rest of the country how it is done. Also the pacific people are nipping at
the heels of the European/other

Vacination rates

1st shot % 2nd shot %
Asian 85.1 41.8

European 72.6 38.1

Pacific people 62.8 32.3

Maori 48.8 23.4

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data
Rich80105
2021-09-16 04:30:30 UTC
[...]
Good comments and I agree with your analysis - I hope we can all get
to understand each other better so that the constantly shifing risk
pattern does not prevent us doingwhat is needed to keep New Zealanders
safe.
Willy Nilly
2021-09-16 07:35:29 UTC
So why are some sectors of our population lagging behind on
vaccination?
Because they're not as keen, obviously. Or as Kamala Harris said
before the election, "I wouldn't have Trump's vaccine". So there's
some natural distrust when crossing over groups of people.
Nilly Willy
2021-09-16 09:10:29 UTC
Or as Kamala Harris said before the election, "I wouldn't have Trump's vaccine".
Snopes fact-check: False
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kamala-harris-refuse-trump-vaccine/

In May last year, Willy Nilly told us that Sweden would reach Covid-19
herd immunity that same month. More false.
<https://groups.google.com/g/nz.general/c/xFp0e5x1EGc/m/iPch4X2qBQAJ>

In April this year when Covid rates were skyrocketing in India and other
countries were shutting down flights from India too, Willy Nilly tried
to tell us that Covid rates from India were the same as they always
were. Even more false.
<https://groups.google.com/g/nz.general/c/cu4TnJwNUCw/m/Gqkd9OqfCAAJ>
Willy Nilly
2021-09-16 20:00:59 UTC
Is this all you've got after reading all my old posts?
Post by Nilly Willy
Or as Kamala Harris said before the election, "I wouldn't have Trump's vaccine".
Snopes fact-check: False
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kamala-harris-refuse-trump-vaccine/
Snopes replied to a slightly different question and in fact his answer
affirms my statement: "... she said she did not trust then-U.S.
President Donald Trump’s vaccine rollout policy or his statements
about COVID-19. She said she would listen to medical experts such as
Dr. Anthony Fauci, but would not take Trump’s word for it."
Post by Nilly Willy
In May last year, Willy Nilly told us that Sweden would reach Covid-19
herd immunity that same month. More false.
<https://groups.google.com/g/nz.general/c/xFp0e5x1EGc/m/iPch4X2qBQAJ>
My prediction failed, but that is hardly "false". Sweden is doing
very well now, but it took much longer than I thought it would.
Post by Nilly Willy
In April this year when Covid rates were skyrocketing in India and other
countries were shutting down flights from India too, Willy Nilly tried
to tell us that Covid rates from India were the same as they always
were. Even more false.
<https://groups.google.com/g/nz.general/c/cu4TnJwNUCw/m/Gqkd9OqfCAAJ>
My statement was true, as anyone watching the daily Ardern/Bloomfield
circus at the time can attest: incoming COVID cases throughout 2020
were mostly from India/Pakistan.

Hope you enjoyed and were bettered by reading my old posts.