What happened.
2020-12-22 06:37:53 UTC
Some months ago in the newsgroup there was a discussion about whether thEe
Government's ainm was to eliminate or eradicate Covid-19 from New Zealand.

Time has shown that if that was the policy then things changed to Import and
contain at the boarder.

Still if one thinks about it how could it be anything different with all the
Kiwi's wanting to return home and the cheap labour needed to stop the
various business folks complaining.

So, we have to hope that over the holiday season everyone stays alert for
one break through could be the seed for a super spreader event.

Merry Christmas, and give some thought to the English and Germans who will
spend Christmas in lockdown.
Rich80105
2020-12-22 19:31:57 UTC
Some months ago in the newsgroup there was a discussion about whether thEe
Government's ainm was to eliminate or eradicate Covid-19 from New Zealand.
Time has shown that if that was the policy then things changed to Import and
contain at the boarder.
Still if one thinks about it how could it be anything different with all the
Kiwi's wanting to return home and the cheap labour needed to stop the
various business folks complaining.
So, we have to hope that over the holiday season everyone stays alert for
one break through could be the seed for a super spreader event.
Merry Christmas, and give some thought to the English and Germans who will
spend Christmas in lockdown.
Right from early on elimination was the aim - and the difference
between elimination and eradication explained. We are a National that
depends on international trade - elimination can only be a dream at an
international level at this stage. If there was an effective way of
testing before arrival we would have adopted it, but there isn't -
time and time again those coming in by ship or air have tested
positive only after having been in isolation for some time. Priority
has rightly been given to returning New Zealanders - they are legally
entitled to enter.

The need for allowing entry for temporary workers is less clear; I see
that as a mix of our regarding some Pacific Island nations as being
more 'part of us' than others, but also a failure of previous
governments to allow market forces to work. If labour is only
available on terms that New Zealanders are not prepared to accept, it
is at least partially wrong to allow high local unemployment while at
the same time importing cheap labour - better to allow the market to
encourage employers needing work done to meet the needs of New
Zealanders . . . I see the current partial acceptance of importing
orchard workers as transitional, as are measures to subsidise
apprenticeships - sadly neglected by inadequate contractual
arrangements in many indistries that have resulted in very short term
thinking, and revolving temporary companies being used to avoid
liabilities for shonKey work . . .