Freedom of speech?
2020-02-14 20:18:52 UTC
https://thebfd.co.nz/2020/02/the-bfd-video-nz-policeman-says-if-you-do-continue-to-write-stuff-that-borders-on-the-line-between-freedom-of-speech-an-offence-you-will-be-arrested/?fbclid=IwAR3HrsqbpCsbtfE8rnUa_pmUZK-us7o5fhLaxqu98SAA8FgzpBVy1Z-imzk
Not a favourite blog site of mine but this is worth watching.
Clearly the man being interviewed has some extreme views, views that I don't
share, but he did not incite violence (the police officer effectively concedes
that), and therefore did not break the law.
The officer goes on to almost threaten the man with arrest if he repeated his
actions. What law is being broken? Yes a bit of paranoia is displayed but that
is one of the beauties of freedom of speech, he is allowed to be paranoid.
Is this a step on the slippery path to George Orwell's fantasy? There is a
strong movement today in this country that believes this government is hell
bent on reducing freedoms.
John Bowes
2020-02-15 02:21:57 UTC
[...]
Even though Little has been very quite on his claim he'll introduce a "hate speech"law this year his many comments on this more than suggest the current government is hell bent on removing our freedom of speech. Just to make it clear the Greens believe you can a bit of freedom of speech and the government should be the arbiters of what is and isn't free speech. Rich has been supportive of this which shows how stupid the left are!

If the sorry excuse for a government is by some chance reinstated next year I'd be VERY worried about freedom of speech and all other freedoms in our country!
Gordon
2020-02-15 04:28:31 UTC
[...]
It has been said that the test for democracy is how it handles extreme views.

It is my expectation that some free speech will be offensive to some and
stir emotions in others.

Having said that there are some sleeping dogs which should be let to lie.