The pre-eection spending promises have started
2020-02-10 05:53:05 UTC
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/politicians-make-promises-better-resource-nz-aids-foundation-big-gay
gives a good summary.

From that article: "
"Jason Myers, Aids Foundation Chief Executive says the foundation is
always in need of support.

“We've done really well in the last couple of years driving down the
number of new HIV transmissions in New Zealand but at the same time
we've seen skyrocketing rates of other sexually transmitted
infections."

It's an issue electioneering politicians of all stripes seem keen to
put right with National pledging an extra $1 million in funding a year
to the Aids Foundation if elected in September.

“They over the last decade have not had an increase in funding and we
are committing to doing that and resourcing it better,” National party
leader Simon Bridges said.

Labour also pledged $300,000 in research funding, in addition to funds
in last year's budget."

As could be expected, the pledge from Labour was not a response to the
National pledge - they knew what it was needed for: - see
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/409143/government-commits-300-000-to-fund-aids-research

(The Prime Minister) "said it would help guide the Ministry of Health
on how best to target, deliver, and evaluate HIV and STI prevention
services in New Zealand."

"National leader Simon Bridges said his party would put a further $1
million a year into the AIDS Foundation if elected to government.

Mr Bridges said it would be money well spent.

"They do a great job, they've had great success in relation to HIV and
what we've seen is their funding has been the same for at least a
decade and with costs and so on that's not right," said Mr Bridges."

Good on Bridges for admitting that not increasing funding during the
previous term of parliament was not right.

and
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/409156/up-to-date-research-on-hiv-prevention-vital-aids-foundation

which confirms the freezze on funding and the need for research.

But Simon Bridges has now gone further:
From https://twitter.com/simonjbridges/media on Feb 9:
Simon Bridges
Today at the Big Gay Out I’ve committed to a goal of ending HIV new
transmissions by 2025. To support this, a National Government would
commit a $1million of extra funding to the New Zealand AIDS
Foundation.

So presumably the extra $700,000 is going to go towards a goal of
ending new transmissions by 2025!

Now that is really Aspirational! - Or should that be Ashpirational?

Even with vaccinations we find it hard to get better than 95% - how
will he mandate rules that prevent _any_ transmissions of AIDS?

Meanwhile in the real world the other medical news is:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/119365360/palmerston-north-hospital-roof-lifted-for-new-linear-accelerator

Will Simon Bridges promise to more tan double that spend as well (and
acknowledge that service standards fell due to yet more
underinvestment by the previous government?

It is indeed going to be an interesting election.
John Bowes
2020-02-11 04:42:51 UTC
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/politicians-make-promises-better-resource-nz-aids-foundation-big-gay
gives a good summary.
From that article: "
[...]
Labours $12 billion in the lead with it's decision to implement Nationals program from 2017 that they canned :)

They're going to be hard to beat for total cash promises Rich. AGAIN! :)