The Wall -- NZ's dystopic 2021
2020-04-04 09:10:23 UTC
New Zealand life in 2021, presented now -- take with a grain of salt.
(An alternative view of 2021 compared with the one presented on Stuff)

"Mother Jacinda, did it have to be so high?" is the national refrain
of New Zealand in 2021 as we face international isolation akin to
18th-century Japan. How did we get here? Was it really Boris
Johnson's doing?

BoJo emerged from his self-isolation in April 2020, a survivor of
COVID-19, and in so doing saw the world from the other side. He saw
that there was no exit strategy of the pointless UK national lockdown
because COVID-19 would be extant in the UK for months if not years to
come. And so, leading by example, he led the UK people into the arms
of COVID-19, selecting COVID-19 survivors to infect the people in a
mass exercise to bring about herd immunity. The rest of the world
soon followed suit.

In New Zealand a different approach was taken and was successful, that
of extirpation of the virus. By May 2020 NZ was completely cleared of
the virus, the people celebrated their achievement and returned to
work.

But soon a terrible conundrum arose, for no New Zealander could travel
abroad nor any outsider come to NZ, lest COVID-19 be unleashed into
our unprotected population. We became isolated by a political wall
far beyond the imaginings of Pink Floyd or Donald Trump. Now we await
the vaccine that never comes, just as a vaccine for the 2009 swine flu
was never developed.

And so COVID-19 shimmers and beckons us from beyond the seas.
Increasingly our people yearn for it to break these chains of
isolation. Refugee boats slip out of our harbours at night to an
uncertain long passage to distant shores.
George
2020-04-04 20:15:47 UTC
On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 09:10:23 GMT
Post by Willy Nilly
[...]
Sadly you could well be right.
And we have politicians who dont mind being in power for life
2020-05-20 02:32:37 UTC
The start of Level 1 will inaugurate our "Hermit Kingdom" era in which
domestic life is near-normal but our borders are hermetically sealed
off. Jacinda's team are going to delay this for as long as possible,
both for safety and to conceal this remarkable future from the people.
Expect tinkering with Level 2 for months to come, and Level 1 may wait
until next year. When it arrives, hello Hermit Kingdom, because there
will never be a vaccine.

Elections won't resolve the problem because guess how many votes
you'll get if you advocate bringing the coronavirus into the country.
Perhaps the coronavirus will be so kind as to vanish from the globe,
as other pandemics have done before. If that happens, how many months
will elapse before New Zealand trepidatiously opens its borders? The
TAB could clean up taking odds on that. Happy punting, Hermiteers.
Willy Nilly
Rich80105
2020-06-25 23:43:29 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
[...]
Those were the days when it was predicted that country's could quickly
gain herd immunity, and that a vaccine can be expected in months.
Sweden was seen as taking the "right" path in trying to limit the
economic impact by light regulation. Now we see those views as having
been counter-productive - Sweden's scientific experts have admitted
that they were wrong.

Well done on admitting that you advocated for an approach that has
been largely discredited, Willy Nilly. There was a time when it had
considerable support.
Willy Nilly
2020-06-26 00:32:20 UTC
Sweden was seen as taking the "right" path in trying to limit the
economic impact by light regulation. Now we see those views as having
been counter-productive - Sweden's scientific experts have admitted
that they were wrong.
You are a Fake News consumer, Rich. Actually, the Swedish experts
have said only that a few things should've been tweaked differently,
such as *not* allowing family to visit the elderly.
Post by Rich80105
Well done on admitting that you advocated for an approach that has
been largely discredited, Willy Nilly. There was a time when it had
considerable support.
Guess what, there is no "second wave" in Sweden, because they had it
in May. And there will be no "thrid wave" in Sweden, because they are
having it now. Their counts are reducing now (except for the count of
cases which is entirely controlled by the increased testing rate) and
in Sweden, the downward curve is the final story.

As Solon said, wait for the fat lady to sing before making your
pronouncements, Rich. But of course nothing will get you to change
your mindless lefty ways -- except for one thing: when the lights go
out.

When the electricity fails, all the Marxists and Lefties and Greenies
and all other anti-social people will cry for the capitalists to save
them. Don't save them right away -- give them a months to have an
epipheny about the errors of their ways.
Rich80105
2020-06-26 03:44:17 UTC
Post by Rich80105
[...]
See
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths?country=NZL~SWE

Deaths per million population Sweden 515.78, New Zealand 4.56

The lights did indeed go out for quite a few more in Sweden than in
New Zealand . . .

No evidence of a second "wave" in Sweden - they may have changed their
rules, or relied on people changing their way of life; I haven't
investigated.

Our capitalist companies have of course relied heavily on the
government to support them . . .

Most people would say New Zealand compared very well . . . . .