The joys of astronomy
2020-09-07 20:18:17 UTC
And there I was believing that all matters astral were set.
No variation.
Point the telescope and there is the target..
But no.
Evidently the Maori New Year is a movable astral phenomena.
Depending who and where you are...
And the possibility of a day off work on pay over this period of
uncertainty as a public holiday is going to happen...
2020-09-07 21:05:00 UTC
And there I was believing that all matters astral were set.
No variation.
Point the telescope and there is the target..
But no.
Evidently the Maori New Year is a movable astral phenomena.
Depending who and where you are...
And the possibility of a day off work on pay over this period of
uncertainty as a public holiday is going to happen...
Quite a few of our public holidays are somewhat arbitrary, George -
Queens Birthday being one of the more obvious. Easter is however
movable; we have not yet seen legislation for the Pleiades
celebration; and it may be considered desirable that it be separated
from the June 3 public holiday in some way, possibly through linking
to it or by Monday-ising it aware from June 3.

We have seen in the governmetn just ending that Labour Party or Green
Party policy did not always become Government policy - I agree with
your assessment that this is less likely to be the case for hte next
government.
John Bowes
2020-09-09 00:09:18 UTC
And there I was believing that all matters astral were set.
No variation.
Point the telescope and there is the target..
But no.
Evidently the Maori New Year is a movable astral phenomena.
Depending who and where you are...
And the possibility of a day off work on pay over this period of
uncertainty as a public holiday is going to happen...
<Off topic crap snipped>
<More off topic crap snipped>

The issue that you're trying to avoid Rich is that we don't need ANOTHER public holiday. as Keith will happily tell you NZ has enough productivity issues without more holidays.

The sensible thing to do would be ditch New Year at the end of the year which is irrelevant in NZ and replace it with Matariki in June or July!