It's not politics
Kerr Avon
2021-02-13 07:03:52 UTC
So I figured I'd try and post something that was, you know, kinda general
in subject matter instead of some grumble or rant about NZ politics which
seems to now make up a fair chunk of the posts to this newsgroup.

It's been a nice day here and the garden got some attention which was
good. The lawns are in my sights tomorrow.
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Mutlley
2021-02-13 19:47:10 UTC
Post by Kerr Avon
So I figured I'd try and post something that was, you know, kinda general
in subject matter instead of some grumble or rant about NZ politics which
seems to now make up a fair chunk of the posts to this newsgroup.
It's been a nice day here and the garden got some attention which was
good. The lawns are in my sights tomorrow.
I agree those posts should go in to NZ politics group but for the
past few years they have been here. Not much NZ General stuff ever
gets posted here ..
Rich80105
gets posted here ..
Rich80105
2021-02-14 01:01:34 UTC
Post by Mutlley
Post by Kerr Avon
So I figured I'd try and post something that was, you know, kinda general
in subject matter instead of some grumble or rant about NZ politics which
seems to now make up a fair chunk of the posts to this newsgroup.
It's been a nice day here and the garden got some attention which was
good. The lawns are in my sights tomorrow.
I agree those posts should go in to NZ politics group but for the
past few years they have been here. Not much NZ General stuff ever
gets posted here ..
Quite a bit I would have thought, but on the theme of current
activities, I have finished my summer painting a little early.

The news this afternoon about 3 people with Covid in the community is
concerning. Hopefully through a border infection, and we will know
about that hopefully later today. Also of concern are the new variants
over hte last few weeks - with greater infection rates. A concern must
be that we will have worldwide infections for quite a few years,
especially if some nations are not able to afford vaccines.
Kerr Avon
2021-02-18 08:54:48 UTC
Quite a bit I would have thought, but on the theme of current
activities, I have finished my summer painting a little early.
The news this afternoon about 3 people with Covid in the community is
concerning. Hopefully through a border infection, and we will know about
that hopefully later today. Also of concern are the new variants over
hte last few weeks - with greater infection rates. A concern must be
that we will have worldwide infections for quite a few years, especially
if some nations are not able to afford vaccines.
There may be covid afoot but at least you got your painting done :)

I had plans to do this but then family members became unwell (not covid!)
and needed some support after recovering from surgery etc... so my best
intentions went west...

I may still get some done if the temps hold up before end of March.
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Kerr Avon
2021-02-18 08:50:17 UTC
I agree those posts should go in to NZ politics group but for the past
few years they have been here. Not much NZ General stuff ever gets
posted here ..
Ah well we can at least attempt to stem the tide of blah blah Labour and
Blah blah National and... well you get the idea :)
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Willy Nilly
2021-02-13 22:22:22 UTC
Post by Kerr Avon
So I figured I'd try and post something that was, you know, kinda general
in subject matter instead of some grumble or rant about NZ politics which
seems to now make up a fair chunk of the posts to this newsgroup.
At least this newsgroup still has some coherence, unlike most which
have gone all-spam (check aus.general) or vanished altogether. Could
use more varied people, but even the paid troll Rich has some use in
that he keeps other posters on board to refute him.
Kerr Avon
2021-02-18 09:01:00 UTC
Post by Kerr Avon
So I figured I'd try and post something that was, you know, kinda
general in subject matter instead of some grumble or rant about NZ
politics which seems to now make up a fair chunk of the posts to this
newsgroup.
At least this newsgroup still has some coherence, unlike most which have
gone all-spam (check aus.general) or vanished altogether. Could use
more varied people, but even the paid troll Rich has some use in that he
keeps other posters on board to refute him.
It's (frankly) amazing to see there's activity in .nz newsgroups. It seems
there's a ton of spam from some chap who's been at it for years :( across
a number of the old newsgroups.

It would be wonderful if the group created for political chatter was used
for such.

I wonder if Usenet will enjoy a resurgence in time? There's a lot to be
said for the simple text based chatter...an appealing thing that keeps me
active in BBS (yep they still are around too) message networks. Folks in
those nets are also either coming back to them because they are sick of
social media platforms tracking their every move and remember simpler
times where the text chatter became more personal / friendly / chatty...
so that's nice to see..

I have also seen a number of younger folks who where not born during the
80s and 90's heyday of BBS and Usenet looking to discover (and enjoying
when they do) the simpler interfaces and 'off the main grid' feel of FTN
(FIDO technical networks) message networks that are running and (I assume)
dabbling in Usenet chatter as well.

Anywhoo nice chatting with you. Where in the world are you based?
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Crash
2021-02-19 21:57:18 UTC
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 22:01:00 +1300 (NZDT), Kerr Avon
Post by Kerr Avon
Post by Kerr Avon
So I figured I'd try and post something that was, you know, kinda
general in subject matter instead of some grumble or rant about NZ
politics which seems to now make up a fair chunk of the posts to this
newsgroup.
At least this newsgroup still has some coherence, unlike most which have
gone all-spam (check aus.general) or vanished altogether. Could use
more varied people, but even the paid troll Rich has some use in that he
keeps other posters on board to refute him.
It's (frankly) amazing to see there's activity in .nz newsgroups. It seems
there's a ton of spam from some chap who's been at it for years :( across
a number of the old newsgroups.
It would be wonderful if the group created for political chatter was used
for such.
I can recall rants posted into political threads in nz.general to do
just that.
Post by Kerr Avon
I wonder if Usenet will enjoy a resurgence in time? There's a lot to be
said for the simple text based chatter...an appealing thing that keeps me
active in BBS (yep they still are around too) message networks. Folks in
those nets are also either coming back to them because they are sick of
social media platforms tracking their every move and remember simpler
times where the text chatter became more personal / friendly / chatty...
so that's nice to see..
It might if someone could put up a Usenet reader as a phone app.
Ralph Fox
2021-02-20 06:16:58 UTC
Post by Kerr Avon
I wonder if Usenet will enjoy a resurgence in time? There's a lot to be
said for the simple text based chatter...an appealing thing that keeps me
active in BBS (yep they still are around too) message networks. Folks in
those nets are also either coming back to them because they are sick of
social media platforms tracking their every move and remember simpler
times where the text chatter became more personal / friendly / chatty...
so that's nice to see..
It might if someone could put up a Usenet reader as a phone app.
FYI there are Usenet readers as phone apps, already.
For example...

Free

* NewsGroup Reader <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup>
* NewsTap Lite <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/newstap-lite-usenet-reader/id297063247>
* Usenet Reader for Android DEMO <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader>
* PhoNews Newsgroup Reader <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.cmg.android.phonews>
* Groundhog <https://usenetreviewz.com/groundhog-review/>

Paid

* Usenet NewsReader <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.NewsReader>
* NewsTap <https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/newstap-usenet-newsreader/id292410356>
* Usenet Reader for Android <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro>
* PhoNews Pro Newsgroup Client <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cmgapps.android.phonewspro>
--
Kind regards
Ralph
🦊
Kerr Avon
2021-02-23 06:54:41 UTC
It might if someone could put up a Usenet reader as a phone app.
I think Ralf?? addressed this one, yep there's a few app out there. I'm
using on on my iPad to read and reply to some messages. But also using Pan
on the PC.
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Crash
2021-02-15 07:20:02 UTC
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 20:03:52 +1300 (NZDT), Kerr Avon
Post by Kerr Avon
So I figured I'd try and post something that was, you know, kinda general
in subject matter instead of some grumble or rant about NZ politics which
seems to now make up a fair chunk of the posts to this newsgroup.
It's been a nice day here and the garden got some attention which was
good. The lawns are in my sights tomorrow.
Going back about a decade or more, nz.politics got more and more spam
and/or crank posters involved, so many posters moved to nz.general.
That annoyed the non-political posters in nz.general - they gradually
stopped posting (probably gave up on Usenet altogether).

Up here in the far north we have had good rain (lots of water falling
at a relatively gentle pace). I too will have to get the mower out
again in the net few days.

Kerr Avon
2021-02-18 09:04:14 UTC
Going back about a decade or more, nz.politics got more and more spam
and/or crank posters involved, so many posters moved to nz.general. That
annoyed the non-political posters in nz.general - they gradually stopped
posting (probably gave up on Usenet altogether).
Up here in the far north we have had good rain (lots of water falling at
a relatively gentle pace). I too will have to get the mower out again
in the net few days.
Funny thing is there's a perfectly fine newsgroup for that focussed
chatter that you would think would be a more globally spotlit home for
it... if anyone beyond NZ borders wanted to know what 'locals' (is there
such a word in global usenet news? :)) had to say about party x or
politician y then they could get there fix in nz.politics

Looks like we once had a nz.politics.announce newsgroup as well. I can see
it here in the list on the news server.. I'll need to do some digging.
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Ralph Fox
2021-02-18 09:33:19 UTC
Post by Kerr Avon
Looks like we once had a nz.politics.announce newsgroup as well. I can see
it here in the list on the news server.. I'll need to do some digging.
"
CHARTER: nz.politics.announce

nz.politics.announce is a moderated forum for the posting of official
press releases, election results and announcements by Government bodies and
other entities involved in the political process and government of New
Zealand.

Since the group is not intended as a discussion medium followups must be
directed to another newsgroup (usually nz.politics) or to the poster.
Articles will be crossposted only at the moderators' discretion and normal
official announcements should not be crossposted to nz.politics

The following (or their spokespersons) may post Official Information,
statements, announcements and releases to the group:

* Ministers of the Crown.
* Members of Parliament.
* Registered political parties.
* Candidates in General and by-elections.
* The Electoral Commission.
* The Chief Electoral Officer.
* The Registrar of Electors.
* The Clerk of the Writs.
* The Representation Commission.

In addition the following may be posted

* Administrative posts and Information about the Newsgroup
* FAQs related to politics in New Zealand.
* Announcements of online political resources, mailing lists, newsgroups
and web sites.

Posts must be in plain text and have a legitimate from address that will
reach the author. Anonymous post are not accepted.

Posts which contain substantially the same text may not be posted more
than once every two weeks and the moderators may place a limit on a
particular entity's posts provided this is not less than 10 posts and/or
30 kilobytes per day.
"
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Kerr Avon
2021-02-18 23:43:23 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
[...]
Thanks Ralph :)

I'm guessing this one will sit inactive because there's probably no one
posting from the Government side of the fence nor anyone on the other side
that is receiving / able to post as moderator the content if it were to be
supplied.

I wonder if I can work to address that?
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Rich80105
2021-02-19 19:43:05 UTC
On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 12:43:23 +1300 (NZDT), Kerr Avon
Post by Kerr Avon
Post by Ralph Fox
[...]
I think nz.politics.announce stopped getting any 'real' posts quite a
few years ago; nz.politics is the unmoderated group that I gave up
checking when posts other than spam dwindled. From a quick check most
appear to be cross posted as deliberate spam.
Rich80105
2021-02-18 09:53:10 UTC
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 22:04:14 +1300 (NZDT), Kerr Avon
Post by Kerr Avon
Post by Crash
[...]
I haven;t looked at nz.politics for a while - it was infested with
cross-posts from Ras and others sending to more than 5 groups at a
time.
Ralph Fox
2021-02-18 17:18:56 UTC
I haven;t looked at nz.politics for a while - it was infested with
cross-posts from Ras and others sending to more than 5 groups at a
time.
Your newsreader has a simple setting to filter out these excessive cross-posts.

Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting
If a message is posted to [ 5 ] or more newsgroups
Perform this action
[ Skip the header (do not retrieve it) |v]
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Kerr Avon
2021-02-18 23:45:48 UTC
I haven;t looked at nz.politics for a while - it was infested with
cross-posts from Ras and others sending to more than 5 groups at a time.
Ras almost seems like a mythical spammer from another decade or so ago :)

I run a NNTP server here in NZ and if I can suss out the correct scripting
I'd happily try to filter out the stuff sent via that spammer. Problem is
so many links to different servers won't or don't so it gets left to the
end user of the newsgroup to do the filtering at their reader end. :(
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Firu
2021-02-19 13:10:41 UTC
Post by Kerr Avon
Post by Rich80105
I haven;t looked at nz.politics for a while - it was infested with
cross-posts from Ras and others sending to more than 5 groups at a time.
Ras almost seems like a mythical spammer from another decade or so ago :)
I run a NNTP server here in NZ and if I can suss out the correct scripting
I'd happily try to filter out the stuff sent via that spammer. Problem is
so many links to different servers won't or don't so it gets left to the
end user of the newsgroup to do the filtering at their reader end. :(
Ooh, I remember doing the same thing many years ago with scripts that
called named reg-ex search strings. Really fast and powerful and a
proper pain to set up.
Kerr Avon
2021-02-23 06:55:43 UTC
Post by Firu
Post by Kerr Avon
I run a NNTP server here in NZ and if I can suss out the correct
scripting I'd happily try to filter out the stuff sent via that
spammer. Problem is so many links to different servers won't or don't
so it gets left to the end user of the newsgroup to do the filtering at
their reader end. :(
Ooh, I remember doing the same thing many years ago with scripts that
called named reg-ex search strings. Really fast and powerful and a
proper pain to set up.
I'm a n00b at that I may need to pick your kung fu skills :)
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Mutlley
Just had a look at it. Last post was in 2005.
Mutlley
2021-02-20 05:58:13 UTC
Post by Kerr Avon
So I figured I'd try and post something that was, you know, kinda general
in subject matter instead of some grumble or rant about NZ politics which
seems to now make up a fair chunk of the posts to this newsgroup.
It's been a nice day here and the garden got some attention which was
good. The lawns are in my sights tomorrow.
Just did a forced retrieve of header. 35K plus. The last lot are
mostly spam..