Aotearoa
Add Reply
Euripides
2021-09-25 21:39:20 UTC
So 60,000 want a change to our name. OK then, let's have a binding
referendum and settle this now, no more underground plans. Until then
make government departments use our only official name.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/126429776/the-aotearoa-debate-its-time-for-a-name-change
Ainulindale_world_that_is
Good idea.
Willy Nilly
2021-09-25 23:02:57 UTC
Post by Euripides
So 60,000 want a change to our name. OK then, let's have a binding
referendum and settle this now, no more underground plans. Until then
make government departments use our only official name.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/126429776/the-aotearoa-debate-its-time-for-a-name-change
The government's goal is clearly to make these changes *without* any
recourse to the public, since that would fail. The thinking is that
European Kiwis should have no say because their opinions are racist.
The same self-rightous technique will be used as was done to put Maori
seats on the local councils -- a measure which voters had repeatedly
rejected.

If the public doesn't vote your way, get a new public by extinguishing
the rights of the majority. If you disagree, you are racist.
Democracy is racist now, and human rights are a conspiracy theory.
John Bowes
Bloody silly idea. If they change the name it should be to the Maori name used in the treaty of Waitangi. Anything else will be yet another breach of New Zealand 's founding document!
BR
2021-09-26 02:12:32 UTC
Post by Euripides
So 60,000 want a change to our name. OK then, let's have a binding
referendum and settle this now, no more underground plans. Until then
make government departments use our only official name.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/126429776/the-aotearoa-debate-its-time-for-a-name-change
60,000? Is that all?

That's a hell of a lot of people who don't want to change our name.

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Rich80105
2021-09-26 02:48:30 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Euripides
So 60,000 want a change to our name. OK then, let's have a binding
referendum and settle this now, no more underground plans. Until then
make government departments use our only official name.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/126429776/the-aotearoa-debate-its-time-for-a-name-change
60,000? Is that all?
That's a hell of a lot of people who don't want to change our name.
Bill.
Or who have not expressed an opinion. I don't recall the exact number
in a fairly recent poll (and on this issue I suspect a survey would
not predict a vote very well) but I think a majority want to retain
New Zealand, a similar majority are happy with Aotearoa as an
alternative name as National put it on our passports, but the
proportion wanting to reject New Zealand was closer to 50% than many
would like. Let's see if those organising a petition get enough to
force a refrendum.
George Black
2021-09-26 18:58:36 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Euripides
So 60,000 want a change to our name. OK then, let's have a binding
referendum and settle this now, no more underground plans. Until then
make government departments use our only official name.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/126429776/the-aotearoa-debate-its-time-for-a-name-change
60,000? Is that all?
That's a hell of a lot of people who don't want to change our name.
with the current politicians such things as democracy dont figure.
The fake news will help them (for example the current Maorification of
all programs)
Rich80105
2021-09-26 19:53:16 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Euripides
So 60,000 want a change to our name. OK then, let's have a binding
referendum and settle this now, no more underground plans. Until then
make government departments use our only official name.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/126429776/the-aotearoa-debate-its-time-for-a-name-change
60,000? Is that all?
That's a hell of a lot of people who don't want to change our name.
with the current politicians such things as democracy dont figure.
The fake news will help them (for example the current Maorification of
all programs)
You poor wee dear - did nobody tell you that it was Maori Language
Week? You probably feel they should go back where they came from if
they don't want to use proper Queens English, "right", George?
Willy Nilly
2021-09-26 20:08:36 UTC
with the current politicians such things as democracy dont figure.
The fake news will help them (for example the current Maorification of
all programs)
You poor wee dear - did nobody tell you that it was Maori Language
Week? You probably feel they should go back where they came from if
they don't want to use proper Queens English, "right", George?
Soon, maybe next year, they'll have a Maori Language Week which will
never end.
JohnO
Seems to be the case already. "Aotearoa" is an inauthentic invention. Pre-European Maori had no unified concept of nationhood.
John Bowes
Besides it doesn't appear anywhere in the Treaty which is after all our founding documant!
Rich80105
2021-09-26 20:39:51 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
with the current politicians such things as democracy dont figure.
The fake news will help them (for example the current Maorification of
all programs)
You poor wee dear - did nobody tell you that it was Maori Language
Week? You probably feel they should go back where they came from if
they don't want to use proper Queens English, "right", George?
Soon, maybe next year, they'll have a Maori Language Week which will
never end.
Maori Language Week ws from 13 to 19 September (13-19 Mahuru).
Last week was back to pale stale entitled male week - with Key
stepping up to fill the leadership gfap for the Nactional Party . . .
John Bowes
Maori language is an official language of New Zealand and Key didn't stand up as a National leader. He just stood up and described to perfection the stupidity of your government Rich and it's imbecilic and stupid leadership!
Willy Nilly
2021-09-26 21:41:17 UTC
Last week was back to pale stale entitled male week
You've fully internalised the self-loathing which the media
subliminally preach, eh Rich? When the big power outages arrive,
you'll be hoping for non-white non-males to be restoring your power, I
expect.
Rich80105
2021-09-27 00:17:17 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Rich80105
Last week was back to pale stale entitled male week
You've fully internalised the self-loathing which the media
subliminally preach, eh Rich? When the big power outages arrive,
you'll be hoping for non-white non-males to be restoring your power, I
expect.
Good working New Zealanders of whatever racial background are not
represented by the "pale stale entitled" John Key- or as he was once
described a "rich prick".
John Bowes
2021-09-27 01:29:25 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Rich80105
Last week was back to pale stale entitled male week
You've fully internalised the self-loathing which the media
subliminally preach, eh Rich? When the big power outages arrive,
you'll be hoping for non-white non-males to be restoring your power, I
expect.
Good working New Zealanders of whatever racial background are not
represented by the "pale stale entitled" John Key- or as he was once
described a "rich prick".
Don't you mean left leaning woke New Zealanders like yourself Rich? Key has made some very telling points that are an embarrassment to fucking imbeciles like you and the woke government you blindly support! Hard working New Zealanders will be hearing a voice of reason not a fool preaching a failed political mantra!
John Key earned his money in a very tough business that you wouldn't have had the brains to practice. Your coming across as a little brown racist prick determined to turn New Zealand into another communist basket case because your to fucking stupid to understand the meaning of freedom and have a vile hatred of anything that resembles capitalism which is not a political ethos but the only way people can advance!
John Bowes
Do stop being a comprehensionless and stupid fucking imbecile Rich. This behaviour won't get you any respect !
JohnO
Just be aware that millions of dollars of public money will be spent on relentless marketing, all advocating for the change. Like the "Three Waters" advertising currently on TV, it will insult your intelligence.
Rich80105
2021-09-26 21:28:04 UTC
Post by Euripides
So 60,000 want a change to our name. OK then, let's have a binding
referendum and settle this now, no more underground plans. Until then
make government departments use our only official name.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/126429776/the-aotearoa-debate-its-time-for-a-name-change
Just be aware that millions of dollars of public money will be spent on relentless marketing, all advocating for the change. Like the "Three Waters" advertising currently on TV, it will insult your intelligence.
And those that oppose any change are entitled to spend their money in
opposition - if you remember the introduction of MMP, that was opposed
by big money from those who thought of themselves as the 'business
elite.' The insults to our intelligence wee I suspect part of the
reason MMP was voted for in the referendum.

Three Waters is in part prompted by the "Keep the Rates Down" mantra
of the "business community"which has seen poor public transport (and
in particular poor rail passenger serves) in Auckland, the "Yule
effect"of e-coli in water in Havelock North, the 'sewage in the
streets" in Wellington, and flooding in too many areas (ironically
recently in some country areas where regional bodies have not had the
funds to manage river banks a road culverts), and "getting water from
trucks" in Northland. Even David Seymour rejects the stupid call for
Councils to be paid for taking a liability away from them . . .

You can ask through the OIA for how much the government is spending on
advertising ; I have not seen any, but keeping the public informed is
part of the mandate for our broadcasters; such programmes as have
discussed it have been fairly well balanced, giving voice both those
objecting and opposing.