the once and future pope
george152
2016-11-16 19:23:27 UTC
I hear Tamaki whatsit has declared Christchurch and Banks Penninsular to
be his god getting snaky.
If he hadn't copied verbatim and word for word from an Itie godbotherer
who burbled after their earthquakes ...
Time for his followers to wake up and stop funding the nutter
Pooh
2016-11-16 23:59:28 UTC
Post by george152
I hear Tamaki whatsit has declared Christchurch and Banks Penninsular to
be his god getting snaky.
If he hadn't copied verbatim and word for word from an Itie godbotherer
who burbled after their earthquakes ...
Time for his followers to wake up and stop funding the nutter
There's a petition calling for Tamaki's 'church' losing it's tax free
state. I signed it not that it'll do any good. But about the only church
I'd consider a 'charity' is the Sally Army.

Pooh
Allistar
2016-11-18 07:09:45 UTC
Post by Pooh
Post by george152
I hear Tamaki whatsit has declared Christchurch and Banks Penninsular to
be his god getting snaky.
If he hadn't copied verbatim and word for word from an Itie godbotherer
who burbled after their earthquakes ...
Time for his followers to wake up and stop funding the nutter
There's a petition calling for Tamaki's 'church' losing it's tax free
state. I signed it not that it'll do any good. But about the only church
I'd consider a 'charity' is the Sally Army.
Religion should not be a reason to be tax exempt. It should be for charities
only. Spreading dishonesty and immorality is not charitable.
--
"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."
creates the incentive to minimize your abilities and maximize your needs.
george152
Very true.
Crash
2016-11-18 21:50:46 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Allistar
Post by Pooh
Post by george152
I hear Tamaki whatsit has declared Christchurch and Banks Penninsular to
be his god getting snaky.
If he hadn't copied verbatim and word for word from an Itie godbotherer
who burbled after their earthquakes ...
Time for his followers to wake up and stop funding the nutter
There's a petition calling for Tamaki's 'church' losing it's tax free
state. I signed it not that it'll do any good. But about the only church
I'd consider a 'charity' is the Sally Army.
Religion should not be a reason to be tax exempt. It should be for charities
only. Spreading dishonesty and immorality is not charitable.
Very true.
The history of tax-exemption for religious organisations probably
stems back to the days when churches were the pillars of the society
they served and secular leaders were always seen at church on Sunday.

Those days are long gone. Religious organisations should subject to
the same tax obligations as similar secular not-for-profit
organisations.

Crash McBash
geopelia
2016-11-23 10:55:49 UTC
Post by Allistar
Post by Pooh
Post by george152
I hear Tamaki whatsit has declared Christchurch and Banks Penninsular to
be his god getting snaky.
If he hadn't copied verbatim and word for word from an Itie godbotherer
who burbled after their earthquakes ...
Time for his followers to wake up and stop funding the nutter
There's a petition calling for Tamaki's 'church' losing it's tax free
state. I signed it not that it'll do any good. But about the only church
I'd consider a 'charity' is the Sally Army.
Religion should not be a reason to be tax exempt. It should be for charities
only. Spreading dishonesty and immorality is not charitable.
Very true

" Help us to save free conscience from the paw
Of hireling wolves, whose Gospel is their maw."

(Milton, in his poem to Cromwell)

Sadly there will probably always be hireling wolves around.

But on the other hand we might be mistaken about Tamaki.

Acts 5:38-39 (KJV)

"38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for
if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even
to fight against God."

I sit on the sideline awaiting developments.
Allistar
2016-11-23 21:46:08 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Allistar
Post by Pooh
Post by george152
[...]
The Bible is a disgusting book and should be taken as seriously as the
Hobbit (less seriously than hat even given how keen Tolkien fans can get).
Post by george152
I sit on the sideline awaiting developments.
I await the day when no church is given a tax exempt status and there's an
R18 sign on the doors. These ridiculous, dangerous and patently false
superstitions need to stop spreading.
geopelia
2016-11-24 02:04:35 UTC
Post by george152
Post by Allistar
Post by george152
I sit on the sideline awaiting developments.
I await the day when no church is given a tax exempt status and there's an
R18 sign on the doors. These ridiculous, dangerous and patently false
superstitions need to stop spreading.

Yes. some of the Bible may seem "disgusting" to modern readers, ( e.g.
animal sacrifice),
and especially parts of the early books of "divers laws and ordinances"
from the time of Moses.
The Exodus is thought to be from around 1440 BC.
In three and a half millennia the world has moved on.

But the New Testament comes from the days of the later Roman Empire.
Try comparing it with other literature from around that time.
("The Golden Ass", enjoyed sometimes as porn today, is actually a very moral
story by a devout worshipper of the Goddess Isis).

In those days the world ran on slave power.
The Epistle to Philemon discusses an actual slave, and the whole subject.
How should masters and slaves behave to each other?
But slavery itself is not condemned. It was just the way things were, then.

St Paul's Epistles to various Christian groups in Rome and Roman colonies
are worth pondering, even if you are not Christian, as an insight into the
thinking and morals of that time.
We probably read the Gospels, Acts and Revelation. Try the Epistles too,
advice to the early Christians around the Roman world.

And there is a little story in Proverbs One, said to be Solomon's wise
advice, which every young lad should read!

Geopelia

Dave Doe
2016-11-17 01:15:18 UTC
Post by george152
I hear Tamaki whatsit has declared Christchurch and Banks Penninsular to
be his god getting snaky.
If he hadn't copied verbatim and word for word from an Itie godbotherer
who burbled after their earthquakes ...
Time for his followers to wake up and stop funding the nutter
Unfortunately they are deluded nutters too. Consequently, they praise
him. And that Jesus fellow that we still can't even prove the existence
of.
Duncan.
Fred
2016-11-17 20:39:53 UTC
Post by Dave Doe
Post by george152
I hear Tamaki whatsit has declared Christchurch and Banks Penninsular to
be his god getting snaky.
If he hadn't copied verbatim and word for word from an Itie godbotherer
who burbled after their earthquakes ...
Time for his followers to wake up and stop funding the nutter
Unfortunately they are deluded nutters too. Consequently, they praise
him. And that Jesus fellow that we still can't even prove the existence
of.
I don't think there's any doubt he existed. It's the rest of the story
that is bullshit. The magic powers stuff. Let's face it - not even
Dynamo could rise from the dead.